Labels

lego (12) Linux (39) pi (20) Thinkpads (4)

Thursday 26 April 2012

Changing Default Browser in Linux

Whenever I have an application spawning a web page, it always either opened in winebrowser (which doesn't work, and just causes the machine to spike on cpu) or Firefiox (which I don't regularly use unless something doesn't work in chrome). For some reason clicking Make Google Chrome Default Browser in Chrome has no effect. So I ran sudo update-alternatives --config x-www-browser Which presented me some choices Selection Path Priority Status ------------------------------------------------------------ * 0 /usr/bin/google-chrome 200 auto mode 1 /opt/firefox/firefox 70 manual mode 2 /usr/bin/google-chrome 200 manual mode 3 /usr/bin/iceweasel 70 manual mode Chrome was already set but wasn't working. Perhaps the "auto mode" had something to do with it. I entered the choice 2 at the prompt and now chrome opens as the default browser.

No comments:

Post a Comment